A Győri Egyházmegye lapja
Különszám a kegykép Győrbe érkezésnek 350. évfordulójára 2005.
Walter Lynch’s life
The Lynch family’s ancient home was in the town of Galway in Northern Ireland. The family’s decendents held many mayoral posts in the city, as the first bridge there was also built by the Lynch family members in 1443. The family had a leading role in the construction of the Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas in 1320 and the Chapel of Our Lady, built in 1561. From this holy church according to history, came the painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary that was stationed in Győr’s Cathedral. Walter Lynch was born in the parish town of Galway around 1595. His schooling also started there and later he was sent to Lisbon to an Irish boarding school because the Catholics were limited in attending higher education because of the Penal Code. He studied Theology in Paris and was ordained there as a priest. Walter Lynch received his doctorate from Sorbonne.
Upon his return to Ireland, he became warden of the Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas. He withdrew from his post for a while, and at Orleans and Caen’s university he earned a doctorate in Roman and canon law. When he returned again he was re-elected as wardin and received the title of Apostolic Protonotary from Rome. October 1645, Walter Lynch was appointed as Vicar Capitulor of Tuaim. Walter Lynch was appointed Bishop of Clonfert in Rome on 11th of March in 1647. In 1651, Bishop Lynch was appointed as Bishop Councilor Secretary of Ireland.
When the English troops reached Clonfert in June of 1651, the Bishop departed to Galway. After the fall of Galway, Walter Lynch, accompanied by several other bishops and priests, escaped to the island of Inisbofin. Eventually, this island also surrendered on February 14th. in 1653. We find Bishop Lynch and his companions were taken to Flanders as was reported to Rome on April 26, 1653. Two weeks later Bishop Lynch was in Brussels, living distress fully and in poverty. Then at last he reaches the city of Vienna, which was the most Catholic capitol of the era. In Vienna, Bishop Lynch became acquainted with Püsky János, the Bishop of Győr, who invited his fugitive Irish fellow bishop to Győr and in Győr ensured him his livelihood. The Irish bishop was appointed canon and given a suitable income. Püsky, also employed him as assistant bishop. On November 23, 1659 Bishop Lynch consecrated the rebuilt church of Martyr St. Stephen, belonging to the Győr Franciscans. According to Bishop Zalka: „In his life he was a model of the devout priest” It is also said that he spent his income on the protection of the poor and he was greatly liked by the flock of Győr.
In 1663, he was making preperations to return to the Clonfert Diocese, but on July 14, he died at 3:00 a.m. at the age of 68 and was buried within the Holy Cathedral crypt in Győr.
© Hitvallás - a Győri Egyházmegye folyóirata - 2002-2005
Web: Vaday Tamás